Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Now You See It... by Vivian Vande Velde

Wendy is a fairly average high school student until she accidentally discovers a random pair of sunglasses on her front lawn. Since they just happen to match her prescription, she wears them to school when her own glasses get broken. But that's when things start to get strange - some people look completely different when she's wearing the glasses...and she starts seeing things that aren't 'really' there. When the two students who look 'different' realize that Wendy can see what they actually look like, suddenly they are very eager to chat with her. Very quickly, Wendy finds herself in over her head and must turn toward some unexpected people for help.

I enjoyed this book. Wendy seemed a little juvenile at times, but overall, the story was interesting and unpredictable and the characters were realistic. The book moves pretty well for the most part. Fantasy readers who like stories about fantasy in the real world or about the division between the real world and 'faery' should definitely check this out for a quick read.


2 comments:

S said...

I greatly enjoyed this book, although I personally found it a little predictable at times. It was very well written and an easy read.

Anonymous said...

I really loved the book.

I'm doing it for a school assignment and I felt it was really imaginative.

What I didn't like was that it resembled a lot of other books in the sense that there was this "magical world" with different creatures.

It reminded me of Narnia and Bridge to Terribithea too much.

But I did like Larry, he was pretty cool.