Sunday, February 24, 2008

Beauty Sleep by Cameron Dokey

In this retelling of Sleeping Beauty, Aurore grows up with reminders of her christening-day curse all around her. Forbidden to touch sharp objects or go outside, she feels smothered. Finally, her parents agree to loosen the strictures and make the bittersweet discovery that she is the heir they always hoped she would be. But the curse remains. Aurore grows up and embarks on an adventure to delay the curse, and, perhaps, change her future.

I don't think this is one of my favorite retellings of Sleeping Beauty. The story is certainly an interesting take, although I'm not a huge fan of the writing style: told in first person, the beginning of the story is full of asides which I thought were a bit tedious. After the first couple of chapters, however, the commentaries disappear. The ending is also a bit unorthodox, but ties up all of the loose ends well. Overall, I would say that I liked this story, but I would probably only recommend it to fantasy fans who are really into retellings or readers who prefer the first person narrative-style stories.


No comments: